The following is an excerpt from my book 5 Pennies: Ten Rules to Successfully Building a Franchise Mega-Brand and Maximizing System Profits.
Here are ten important questions to ask yourself and your teams that will help you assess your current culture and actions towards franchisee relations:
- What are we doing to continue and ensure a high-touch experience with the franchisees in our system?
- Do we manage the system with any transparency?
- How would our franchisees rate our engagement with them?
- How do we react to franchisees when new ideas are brought forth for consideration?
- Does our corporate culture really “walk the talk” that our brand information promises in the recruiting process? Are we all directly involved with the process?
- Do our franchisees perceive us as honest and trustworthy?
- Do we actively seek input from our franchisees?
- Does anyone on our staff show favoritism or practice retribution toward any franchisee? How is it policed?
- Would our franchisees say that we genuinely care about their input on the direction of the system?
- Do we tend to rely on the legal relationship before we try to work issues out through the operating relationship with our franchisees?
Developing a culture of great franchisee engagement and relations doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time, consistent championing by leadership, a ton of hard work, and a commitment to constant system improvement.
Need some franchisee relationship advice? Give us a shout for a free consultation on how we can help you and your franchisees get along much better.